Tuesday 26 June 2012

Blueberry Muffins, Anyone?

I had a little time this afternoon so I decided to make some blueberry muffins!  While I really like muffins, mostly this was an excuse to use the adorable muffin tin liners that Ms. Rabbit gave to me a few weeks back!  They are so sweet and summery, I couldn't resist them any longer! 

The recipe I used started out as the BabyCakes "Blueberry Muffin" recipe but, as tends to happen, I got creative and changed it up a little! { BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery, by Erin McKenna. p. 32-33)


The BabyCakes recipe calls for spelt flour which is low in gluten, but not gluten-free.  That being the case, I made my own GF flour mixture out of the following:
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup coconut flour (a generous 1/4 cup)
1 tsp guar gum

Also, when I went to my cuboard I realised I was out of agave (Zut Alors!) and so I got to thinking abd decided that one banana mashed up really well would add the sweetness that I needed and some extra moisture as well!  You could, of course, use maple syrup, honey, or plain old sugar in place.

Finally, I used vegetable oil in place of coconut oil and added in 2 1/2 tsp of ground flax meal just because I like it! In the end, the recipe ended up looking like this:

                                     Rabbit and Bumble's Blueberry Muffins 

                                     2 1/4 cup GF flour mixture
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 mashed banana (REALLY mashed)
2/3 cup coy milk (could use any non-dairy milk)
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
2/3 cup blueberries (fresh would be best, but I only had frozen so... )

Mix all dry ingredients together well.  Combine wet ingredients and add to the dry.  When well combined, add in the blueberries gently.  Scoop into lined muffin tin and bake for 20-22 minutes at 325F.  They will get brown and slightly "crisp" on the top.  When you take them out, let them cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Enjoy!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment