Thursday 27 September 2012

Apple Pie? Yes, Please.

I know, I know... more pie?  HECK YES!  Fall is time for pie... and stew... and biscuits! But, back to the pie.



Next to Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie was always a sure-fire sign that fall was upon us in my home growing up.  Crusty pastry, tasty and tart baked apples, topped with cream or maple syrup... *sigh*  Perfection.  I used the same pastry recipe that I used for the Pumpkin Pie but doubled it.  I like a top AND a bottom on my Apple Pie, don't you?  Obviously, instead of pumpkin I used apples for the filling in this pie.  You can take a lot of different approaches to apple pie filling but I like to keep it simple and let the apples speak for themselves: they have a lot to say!

Apple Pie Filling (for one 9" pie)
6 or 7 apples of your choice (I like to use Macintosh apples, but go wild!)
1/2 cup of sugar (brown or white)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
dash of salt

Peel the apples and slice, thinly.  In a large bowl, combine the apple slices, sugar, and spices.  Toss until apples are well coated.

Place the filling in a prepared pie crust (bottom... obviously) and cover with your second crust.**  Poke a few holes in the top crust, brush LIGHTLY with soy/almond/rice milk and sprinkle sugar on top.  Pop in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes at 350F.  Eat.  Enjoy.

Apple Pie: Mmm, Mmm, Good
 
 
 
 



Top Crust:  Unusual? Yes.  Delicious? Of course!



**I had trouble rolling out this pie pastry so, instead, I used cookie cutters and laid some lovely scallopped-circle cutouts on top of my pie!  Turned out great and looked really lovely!

Before signing out, I wanted to let you all know that we now have a Twitter account so feel free to sing us some sweet, sweet melodies via Twitter!  (@RabbitandBumble)



Soak in this glorious fall weather!  Until next time,

Ms. Bumble xx
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment